Living in Glendale
Railroad Buffs to watch the trains and enjoy the ambiance near the CSX tracks,
Gardeners to join with any of four garden clubs to maintain the Village Square, parks, and other public properties,
Artists and Photographers to experience the curving avenues and sun dappled Victorian homes, the Village Square, the old depot, and church steeples through the changing seasons,
Seekers of the serene to enjoy hundreds of forested acres away from surrounding commercial and industrial hustle and bustle.
Runners, walkers, bicyclists to cross the Village at your own speed, while enjoying the diversity of architecture in a beautiful pastoral setting,
Families to a choice of three elementary schools: Glendale Elementary (Public), The Bethany School (Episcopal), and St. Gabriel (Catholic)
What Makes Glendale So Special?
Is it the wide variety of unique homes?
It is rare to find a home for every budget and every taste in one small community. Glendale’s selection starts with historic homes built in the 1850s and includes properties from every decade since. It’s that variety of housing that leads to the diversity of residents you will find here, whether by age, ethnicity or walks of life. The one thing they all have in common is that they are part of a caring community.
Is it the charm of a small town, coupled with conveniences?
The heart of Glendale is the Village Square, with restaurants, shopping and the Glendale Heritage Preservation museum, located in the old railroad depot. Young and old residents walk to parks and playgrounds, schools and churches along winding gas-lit streets. There’s also shopping, services and restaurants in other parts of the Village. Friends gather for all sorts of events held through the year.
Is it the spirit of volunteerism and community involvement?
This is where residents got together to privately-finance a quiet zone where trains are not allowed to routinely sound their horns at crossings. It’s where neighbors repainted the gas lamp and street sign posts, and pitch in on so many other projects that allow the Village to be one of the very few in Ohio without an income tax.
Glendale's Historic Legacy & Maintaining the National Historic Landmark DistrictGlendale was incorporated in 1855 as a retreat from the crowded city. The Village was the commuter terminus for the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad. Glendale was also a stop on the Underground Railroad. Some of the older homes have tunnels and hidden spaces that provided shelter for the enslaved searching for freedom. Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and 2000 mounted raiders came through the Village in 1863. William Alexander Procter and William Cooper Procter, presidents of Procter and Gamble, were prominent residents of Glendale.
The Glendale Planning and Historic Preservation Commission provides information to property owners about the appropriate care of buildings in the Historic District.
Parks and Green Spaces
Glendale has five active parks and several passive parks. Active parks feature playground equipment, restrooms, basketball courts, soccer fields and baseball diamonds. Passive parks feature beautiful tree-lined pathways and secluded areas to retreat from modern life into the beauty of nature.
The Glendale Park Board is a six-member, Mayor-appointed board that advises Council on park and street tree matters. The Park Board, along with generous volunteer help, plans and maintains the trees, shrubs and flowerbeds in the parks.
The Park Board also plants a tree in front of the homes of Glendale residents to honor the birth of babies born in the Village.
In January 2020, Glendale became the second community in Hamilton County to be a railroad Quiet Zone. Trains passing through the Village are prohibited from blowing their horns, enhancing the peaceful atmosphere within the Village.
Government and Services
Glendale is a Village under Ohio law, led by a Mayor and a six-member Village Council who are elected for four-year terms and receive no compensation for their service. With few exceptions, Council meetings, which are usually held on the first Monday of each month, are open to the public and can be viewed on the local cable access channel or website.
Government operations are handled by the Village Administrator in the Village Office at 30 Village Square. Glendale has its own Police Department and a volunteer Fire Department, which has the very high rating of ISO-2.
The Village has its own water and sewer system maintained by the Public Works & Utilities Departments. Weekly rubbish and recycling pickup is augmented by year-long yard waste removal.
Groups and Special EventsIn addition to housing a free lending library, the Harry Whiting Brown Community Center presents Concerts on the Green each weekend during the summer. The Center also sponsors the Holiday Home Tour and other events each year.
Glendale Heritage Preservation, which is headquartered in the restored Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad depot, serves as the custodian of the village’s history. The organization stages exhibits in the depot museum, operates a gift shop and maintains files and archives on Village families, structures and organizations.
Glendale has four women’s garden clubs that plan, plant and tend to the public gardens throughout the Village.
The Glendale Lyceum is a private, member-run social club established in 1883. It offers swimming, tennis, paddle sports and is a lovely venue for weddings and other functions.
The Glendale Chamber of Commerce hosts the annual Street Fair, the Antique Auto Show and the Christmas in the Square holiday celebration.
Every Memorial Day, Glendale is decked out in red, white and blue for the annual parade.
Distinctive Dining and Shopping
Glendale has a number of unique eating establishments where you will find a variety of food, drinks and ambience for every taste. Enjoy delectable cuisine from crepes, steaks, seafood and desserts in quaint old-world settings to creative takes on American fare paired with fine wines with a contemporary backdrop.
Village shops offer a range of items, including unusual gifts, wine and cheese, apparel, home furnishings, sewing and craft supplies.
Historic Glendale is located just off I-75 at Exit 15, Sharon Road, 15 miles north of Cincinnati. Incorporated in 1855, Glendale covers about 1.7 square miles and has a population of 2200.
One of the first planned communities in Ohio, Glendale has winding roads to fit the topography of the land. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Village’s 292 acre Historic District was declared a National Historic Landmark District in 1977.
Glendale loves its trees and has been named a “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation for 25 consecutive years.
For More Information
Looking to learn more about Glendale or have other questions about the Village? Please contact the Village Office at (513) 771-7200 and Village staff members would be happy to help!